Welcome to the web forum for this session within the JISC Innovation Forum’s ‘Data’ strand. The (invitation-only) face-to-face component of this forum will be on 15th July 1500-1630. For that to be a success, we need your comments and feedback.
The sector is at a relatively early stage in terms of thinking about what skills and careers are needed to enable data to be managed / curated well, except in limited, fairly well-defined areas where a lot of progress has been made. Hence, we’ve anticipated the face-to-face session being something of an ‘informed brainstorm’. To kick this off, and – we hope – spark some online discussion before the face-to-face session, we’d like you to share:
1. a *very* brief summary outlining specifically how your work relates to skills development and capacity building for research data management
2. your reactions to these questions, which are intended to prompt discussion:
• What are the current data management skills deficits and capacity building possibilities?
• What are the longer term requirements and implications for the research community?
• What is the value of and possibilities for accrediting data management training programmes?
• How might formal education for data management be progressed?
Please use the comments facility below to share your contribution by Thursday 10th July.
Relevant background reports include:
– Publication and Quality Assurance of Research Data Outputs
– Dealing with data
Joy Davidson and Neil Jacobs